CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sickening

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
http://sfappeal.com/alley/images/Korea_oil_spill_bird.jpg


Heartbreaking, isn't it? I know everyone has probably seen pictures of animals covered in oil from the Gulf disaster by now, but this is just out of control. This picture especially bothers me, since Audrey loves ducks. When we were at the beach last week, our villa was right on a pond. Mallard ducks would actually come up to us (probably because MIL had food!), and DD was fascinated. When we read our animal books, she loves to look at the ducks, hear me quack (that's right), and feel the duck's fur on our touch-and-feel books.

So it especially makes me sick to see these animals. Because I'm thinking, what kind of environment are we leaving behind for the next generation? A pretty crappy one, if you ask me, and that breaks my heart. Because how will it affect them, and how will it affect their children?

Of course, some good things could come of this. We could realize that we don't need to be so dependent on oil, for one thing. Yes, I enjoy the comforts of oil just as much as the next person, but if more, affordable alternatives were available, I would definitely take advantage of those.

But I am so angry about this whole situation. And when I see pictures of Tony Hayward on the news, I want to puke. The smug look on his face, the way he testified before Congress, saying things like, "I don't recall" or just remaining silent when asked a question...it burns me up.

Additionally, the news that BP knew about certain safety issues on Deepwater Horizon makes me even more incensed. Are you kidding me? They knew about the danger and continued to drill? That is unconscionable.

And it seems that a lot of people have forgotten about the 11 men who lost their lives on the oil rig. That has become a back story in the light of this catastrophe, but it hasn't to their friends and families. Personally, I'm boycotting BP. Matt and I were almost out of gas recently, and I saw a BP up ahead. I told him I'd rather run out of gas than buy from them.

Yes, I know that other companies are most likely doing the same things as BP, but this is one I 'm certain about. And I'm sick of executives who are so greedy, so out-of-touch with their own companies. Are their lavish lifestyles worth the price that people in the Gulf are paying, not to mention the other people that this disaster is affecting (all of us?) I think not.

BP, get your heads out of your butt and do something about this mess, more than you've already done. When I hear stories about animal carcasses that were on the beach at night, then gone by morning, I wonder what's going on down there. Is BP removing these carcasses? Are they actually separating animal heads from bodies so that proper testing can't be done? Are there really baby dolphins being found dead on the beaches?

I guess it just goes to show that we all need to be more informed about the companies we support. Sure, we can't possibly know what's going on behind closed doors, but we can pay attention and take action when things like this happen.

God bless those people in the Gulf, and all of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment