CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

6 months today

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dear Audrey,

When I opened my eyes this morning, one of the first thoughts I had was, Audrey is 6 months old today. I knew, of course, that it was coming, but it just hit me hard as I stared at your sleepy, peaceful face. You're still sleeping right beside me, in the co-sleeper, although I know that has to end soon. Most babies have been out of their parents' rooms and in their own cribs for quite a while now, and I know it's almost time for you, too. I decided that you would sleep in our bedroom for the first six months, since doctors believe this reduces the risk of SIDS and also improves the bond between baby and parents. And I don't regret it one bit, since you are perfectly healthy and I can't imagine the bond between us being any stronger.


But I also can't imagine waking up every day and not seeing your adorable face gazing back at me, one of the first things I see. You're the one who wakes me up almost every day. You don't wake up screaming anymore; you just look around for a while, soaking in your environment, and you start making cooing sounds that eventually bring me out of sleep. Let me tell you, that's the best alarm clock I've had in my entire life.

Sometimes, it seems impossible that you have been with us for half a year, but then again, I can barely remember my life before you arrived. You have made such a complete and utter change in my priorities, my capacity to love, even my day-to-day routine, that I can't envision my life without you in it.

You have grown so much in such a short time, both physically and mentally. When you were born, you weighed 7 lbs even, and at your last doctor's appointment, you were over 14 lbs. I know you weigh more than that now, but it's just hard to believe that you've already doubled your weight. And you're so long! I always thought I'd have a short baby, since I'm only 5'2", but you're already over the 70th percentile in length. Wow. That's a big accomplishment, coming from the long line of shorties on my side of the family. I guess you're going to be tall like your Daddy's side of the family, which is good. You'll be able to reach all the top cupboards for me when you get older!

And the way you've grown mentally is incredible. You used to just lie there, of course, like every newborn, looking gorgeous but not doing much with the exception of screaming from time to time. Now, you're even more beautiful than you were (imagine that), but you've turned into a little person. You can sit up with assistance, play with toys, roll over, eat rice cereal with a spoon, and...my favorite thing of all, put your arm around me when I'm carrying you. You like to leave the other arm dangling at your side, which is something Nanny says I always did as a baby. But when you circle your other arm around my shoulder as I hold you, my heart melts like warm chocolate with love for you.

We'll be taking your picture today, with you wearing your white onesie and your six-month sticker on it. As I pulled the sticker out of its envelope this morning, I wanted to cry when I saw that number. But I want you to know, I've never been happier. Thank you for bringing so much joy into my life.

With all my love,
Mommy 

0 comments:

Post a Comment