CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Let's talk about sex, baby

Warning: If you don't want to read about gynecological problems or sex, stop right here! I mean it; don't read any more!!!

So I went to the gynecologist today, thinking I had a yeast infection. The doctor said I probably do, but I'm not going into details about it here, so don't worry about that. I'm going to talk about something much worse.

While I was there, I told Dr. C. that I've been having some pain during sex, so he decided to check me. Apparently, my uterus is really tender all over. Like, so tender that my foot almost kicked Dr. C. in the head when he was checking me because it hurt so badly. Not on purpose, mind you, just a reflex.

And I'm thinking, okay, he'll prescribe some kind of cream for me or something. No worries. Well, guess what he suggested? A FREAKING HYSTERECTOMY! I could've fallen off the table, I was so shocked. Are you kidding me? is what I wanted to say, but I was too shocked at first to say anything. I think I just looked at him with a scared, panicky look. As if I don't have enough problems with my health, right?

I said, "Dr. C., I can't have another major surgery. I mean, I just had one 6 1/2 months ago. You were there!" referring to my C-section. He just kind of looked at me with sympathy.

I was in disbelief. I felt Matt touch my hand, probably because he thought I was going to lose it. I said, "So there's no cream or anything that might help?" No, he said, but he was willing to refer me to a urogynecologist, a doctor who specializes in gynecology and does no obstetric work. But he said it would be like getting a second opinion.

I told him I definitely wanted to go; I'm not going to let somebody tear out my uterus willy-nilly, without a second thought, you know? Does any woman say, "Sure, go ahead and take it out. No problem." I don't think so.

After I left, I tried not to worry about it, but it's been in the back of my mind all day. Matt and I have only planned on having one child, mainly because of my health, but obviously, a hysterectomy would take the choice of having another one out of my hands entirely.

A few hours later, Dr. C.'s nurse called me and said he'd returned from lunch, and he'd been thinking about my case. The nurse said Dr. C. wondered if I'd like to try a place that helps women with these kinds of problems. I responded that I'd do anything to keep from having a hysterectomy.

So, I have an appointment with this place next week, and I have no idea what to expect. I went to their website, and it looks like they do physical therapy as well as women's health. And when I called to tell my mom about it, she said, "What, will they give you exercises to do?" I laughed my arse off.

She got offended and told me not to laugh at her. I told her I wasn't laughing at her, that I was just imagining what sort of exercises they would come up with for my uterus. I almost ran off the road, I was laughing so hard.

At least there's some hope. I don't know if I'll still go to the urogynecologist or not; we'll see. But I can't have surgery. I have a little baby to take care of...that's just not happening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment