CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 9, 2010

I've never had this kind of physical therapy before

If you're a guy, I don't think you'll want to read this. Especially if you're a guy who's related to me in some way. It's about "women stuff". ::shudder:: In fact, if you know me at all, you probably don't want to read this.

So, I've had lots of physical therapy. For my foot, for fibromyalgia, for muscles in general before I even knew I had FMS. So I know the drill.

But I had some physical therapy yesterday that would blow. your. mind. If you'll remember, I wrote here about an extremely disturbing gynecology visit. You'll also remember, I said there's no way IN HELL that I'm getting a hysterectomy. I think one of the Bumpies said it best when she wrote "Yeah, sure, just rip out your uterus and throw you into menopause," or something to that effect. Amen, sister.

I had no idea they had physical therapy for women's health. Strange, because I usually know a lot about medical stuff, since I have so many problems of my own. And because I love to read about that stuff.

So I had absolutely no idea what to expect yesterday. None. And I was nervous. I mean, would I be up on a table, with my feet in stirrups, doing some kind of uterine exercises while other people lifted weights and worked out on the elliptical? You can imagine my horror at that scenario.

By the time Ambreen took me back, I was ready, though. I had done some yoga breathing on the way there and sung my lungs out to the radio, so I was good. She took me back into a private room and talked to me about private stuff. Yep, like my urine control, bowel control, and sex. Fun.

She made me feel totally comfortable, though. She was definitely not like any therapist I've had before; she's in her forties, Indian, with a nose ring. There's no way I could pull that off, but she does.

She told me she had four (!) kids. So I'm thinking, maybe she can help me after all. Because this is about sex, you know. How it's impossibly painful, and how I'd rather have a tooth filled. I immediately knew I was going to like Ambreen because, after I told her what Dr. C had suggested (hysterectomy), she said she was going to choke him, and used the hand motions to prove it. Nice. Because although I love Dr. C, I think he was really irresponsible to suggest a hysterectomy to me, after one exam and one complaint of painful sex.

It went really well, but I won't go into detail here because it would gross you out. But if your doctor ever tells you that you need a hysterectomy, PLEASE get a second opinion or at least ask if he/she knows of a place where people work with women's health problems. Because there is no reason for such a radical surgery in the majority of cases. In fact, Ambreen told me that, in all probability, I'd be better after 4-6 weeks of therapy. And that is a MAJOR load off my mind.

The point is, don't just trust your doctors blindly, because sometimes they have no clue what they're talking about. Trust me:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment