CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Can't take much more of this (but so grateful at the same time)

As you know, David, Audrey, and I have taken turns being sick since the first week of November. Last week, Audrey's illness took on a serious tone, to say the least. I'll go ahead and say that she's perfectly fine (except for a vicious cold), but we didn't know that then.

Audrey and I have been fighting a bacterial/viral infection for several weeks now. It's cost us several hundred dollars in homeopathic remedies. Why not take Audrey to the doctor? Because I don't want her taking antibiotics that are unnecessary. That's why I have to take such strong meds when I get sick, because I took too many antibiotics as a child.

I decided last Thursday that Audrey needed to go to the doctor. She'd had a fever since the first day of February (at least), and I was getting concerned. David took her, since I was sick in bed. I was awakened by a call from David, saying they were on their way home from the doctor's office. I asked what was wrong with Audrey, and he said, "We'll talk about it when we get home."

Yeah, I don't think so. Then he said, "Well, they've definitely ruled out cancer; the doctor wanted you to know that." Excuse me? CANCER? He then told me that we needed to take Audrey to the Children's Hospital the next day for blood work. Our doctor wanted to see if she had a long-running virus or an autoimmune disorder. Again, what the...?

To make a long story short, I completely freaked out. I called my mother in tears to explain what was going on, hoping to pull myself together by the time David and Audrey got home.

Dr. W asked if our thermometer could be the problem. We have one that measures temporally (one that you swipe across the child's forehead). We had wondered that before, when she had an ear infection recently, so we took the thermometer to the doctor. We tested it against theirs, and ours was spot on.

I can't write anymore right now because I am truly exhausted and very angry, but at least you know she's okay. More on this the next post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment