CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ah...summertime

Okay, it's hot as Hades here, but I'm still pretty pumped. David's out of school for the summer. That means not only do we get to spend more time with him, but we'll also be able to get out of the house more.

And we're going to the beach soon, and it's going to be the bomb diggety (does anyone say that anymore?)

Our condo for the beach is right on the ocean....ahhhhh. I absolutely love the beach. Not a specific beach per se, but just in general. Or I should say, I love a beach where you can see for miles and miles and walk just as far, if you feel like it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

How could you not love the beach? Oh, I guess some people get annoyed with the sand and whatnot, but to me, it's the most peaceful place in the world. And how anyone can stand on a beach, dwarfed by the power and beauty of the ocean, and not believe that God exists is incomprehensible to me.

I have to admit, I chose my college partly based on its being close to the water. Granted, I fell in love with College of Charleston when I was in 8th grade, but the ocean certainly played a part in my decision.

I used to live on James Island, a full 5 minutes from Folly Beach. Folly is a classic surfer beach, populated with modest houses and year-round residents. It was wonderful to live so close to it. And looking back, I think fall, winter, and spring were really my favorite times there. For one, you don't really have to worry about sunscreen (and that's a biggie for me, since my skin is as white as the proverbial vampire's).

But it's not crowded then, except for the brave surfers who wade out into the cold. I can't tell you how many times I sat on the beach, huddled up in blankets, watching my then-boyfriend and his friends in their wetsuits, having the time of their lives.

I went there when I felt sad, when I felt happy, just anytime. I went there to study; my friends used to laugh and say there was probably sand in my textbooks. There probably was.

I've always felt that I was born in the wrong place, that I was meant to be near the water. I never intended on leaving Charleston, but sometimes life gets in the way. Sure, I could move there now, but being near my family is so important to me.

So I treasure these moments when I get to visit. It's not the same as living there, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

1 comments:

Brianna said...

There is nothing better than a relaxing get away to the beach. I hope your trip goes smoothly and you get lots of R&R. Is this the one with your MIL?

Post a Comment